Complaints Procedure

Information about Complaints handling

Cornwall Rural Housing Association (CRHA) aims to provide a good quality housing service meeting the needs and wishes of people living in the rural areas of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.

Below is the procedure you should follow if you feel that we have not met this aim and you wish to make a complaint about the service you have received.

If you do wish to make a complaint, please remember to provide as much detail as possible and to state clearly what you think should be done to solve your problem.

It will also be helpful if you can tell us if you have reported this problem previously and, if so, to whom and when.

Do not forget to provide us with details of your name, address and telephone number.

Complaints must be made within 12 months of the incident taking place.

Your complaint will be dealt with confidentially and without bias.

Stage One – Initial Complaint

Any person with a complaint about the service received from CRHA or anyone acting on your behalf should contact our office in person or in writing:

Cornwall Rural Housing Association

19 Callywith Gate

Launceston Road


PL31 2RQ

Telephone:    01208 892000                



Generally, complaints will be acknowledged within 2 working days of receipt of the complaint and a full written response will be sent within 10 working days.

Stage Two – Formal Complaint

If you are unhappy with the action taken under Stage One then please make a formal complaint to the Chief Executive who will investigate the complaint again.  You will receive a reply within 10 working days.  The Chief Executive may meet with you in an attempt to resolve the matter through negotiation and conciliation.

Stage Three – Appeal to the Board of Management

If you are still not satisfied with the way your complaint has been dealt with then you can appeal directly to the Board of Management by writing to the Chairman of the Association. The Board will consider your complaint in detail at their next scheduled meeting (the complainant will be informed of the date) and the Board of Management will respond in an appropriate manner within 15 working days of the meeting.

Stage Four – Contact a Designated Person

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the appeal the next stage is to contact a designated person.

They are there to help to resolve disputes between tenants and their landlords and can do this in whatever way they think is most likely to work.

A designated person can be a MP or local councillor.

If the designated person cannot help they can refer a complaint to the Ombudsman.

Stage Five – Housing Ombudsman Service

Complaints to the Ombudsman do not have to be referred by a designated person.

If they have not referred the complaint, there must be at least 8 weeks from the end of CRHA’s complaint process before you can contact the Ombudsman to consider the case.

The Housing Ombudsman can be contacted at:

Housing Ombudsman Service

81 Aldwych



Telephone: 0300 111 3000

Fax: 020 7831 1942